Military.ncpw.gov offers free tips and tools from the FTC, Department of Defense, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Military Consumer Protection Day (MCPD) is a joint initiative to empower active duty and retired servicemembers, military families, veterans and civilians in the military community. Use these free resources as the first line of defense against fraud and make better-informed decisions when managing your money.
For Active and Retired Service Members
If you’re ready to buy a home, CalVet will help you meet your home financing needs. You will find many features and benefits with a CalVet loan that will save you money and help protect your investment for your family.
CalVet offers competitive market interest rates with low or no down payment that increase your purchasing power and keep your payment down. They have expanded eligibility so that nearly any veteran wanting to buy a home in California is eligible. You may use the menu below to get detailed information about the CalVet Home Loan program. If you need assistance please contact the CalVet Customer Services Unit at (800) 952- 5626 (toll free) or (916)503-8362 or email us at email@example.com.
America/Military Saves encourages the military community to meet immediate needs and build long-term wealth through saving and debt reduction.
The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA), formerly known as the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Civil Relief Act (SSCRA), is a federal law that provides protections for military members as they enter active duty. It covers issues such as rental agreements, security deposits, prepaid rent, eviction, installment contracts, credit card interest rates, mortgage interest rates, mortgage foreclosure, civil judicial proceedings, automobile leases, life insurance, health insurance and income tax payments. You should contact your nearest Armed Forces Legal Assistance Program office to see if the SCRA applies. Dependents of servicemembers can also contact or visit local military legal assistance offices where they reside. Please consult the military legal assistance office locator for each branch of the armed forces.
Frequently asked question and answers from the Franchise Tax Board.
- I am currently, or was, in the military. Do I have to file a California return?
- I’m in the military. Do I have to use the same filing status as federal?
- I am a member of the military. Can I apply for Tax Amnesty after the normal application period?
- FTB Pub. 1031 – Guidelines for Determining Residency Status
- FTB Pub. 1032 – Tax Information for Military Personnel
- California Conforms to the Military Family Tax Relief Act of 2003
- Form 540NR Long/Short, Nonresident or Part-Year Residents
- Federal Tax Information for Members of the U.S. Armed Forces
California TAP$ (Troops Against Predatory Scams) campaign is dedicated to helping our men and women in uniform protect their hard-earned dollars. Educational materials developed to inform troops about financial scams and predatory lending are available in the links below. Contact the California Department of Corporations,1-866-ASK-CORP (1-866-275-2677).
CalVet Connect can help you successfully re-enter civilian life by connecting you to the veterans benefits and services you have earned.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) Information for Servicemembers
- Army OneSource Financial Readiness
- Bob Woodruff Family Foundation
- California Department of Mental Health
- California Department of Veterans Affairs
- California Employment Development Department Services for Veterans
- California National Guard
- Cell Phones for Soldiers
- Center for Women Veterans
- Defenders of Freedom – CA
- Department of Justice Protecting the Rights of Servicemembers
- Economic Stimulus Package
- Fallen Patriot Fund
- Friday Night Live
- Give an Hour – Give Help/Give Hope
- Homes for Heroes
- Homes for Our Troops
- Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund
- Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund
- Kids Serve 2
- Marine Corps Family Team Building
- Military Child Education Coalition
- Military Connection
- Military Family Resources
- Military HOMEFRONT
- The Military Spouse Resource Center
- National Military Family Association
- Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society
- Operation Gratitude
- Operation Homefront
- Operation Military Kids
- Our Military Kids
- Scholarship Finder
- Servicemembers Civil Relief Act
- Silver Star Families of America
- Transition Assistance Online
- Tragedy Assistant Program for Survivors (TAPS)
- United States Department of Veterans Affairs